The Heart Smart Diet Information
- Reduce your cholesterol
- Enhance your heart’s health
- Maintain a low-sodium diet
- Lose weight
- Lower your risk of heart disease, hypertension and type 2 diabetes
- Follows the American Heart Association’s recommendations for fat, sodium and fiber.
About The Heart Smart Diet
Heart disease is the number one killer in the United States, and obesity is a major contributing factor. A Heart Healthy Diet and exercise can go a long way toward decreasing your risk of heart disease. There are certain foods that can help you lose weight and also protect you against heart disease.
- Eat 5 or more servings a day of fruits and vegetables.
- Eat 6 or more servings of grain products.
- Choose fat-free and low-fat dairy products.
- Eat fish, legumes, skinless chicken and lean meats.
- Choose healthy margarines, canola oil and olive oil.
- Walk or do some other type of exercise for 30 minutes every day.
Following a Heart Smart Diet will help you achieve and maintain a healthy body weight, a desirable blood cholesterol level and a normal blood pressure. This diet will benefit more than your heart. It will reduce your risk of other chronic health problems, like Type 2 Diabetes, Osteoporosis and some Cancers.
Heart Smart Diet Menu
Breakfast: Whole grain cereal with fruit and nonfat milk
Lunch: Cuban rice and beans with spinach salad and fruit
Dinner: Grilled chicken, baked sweet potato & vegetable & fruit
Snack: Low-fat muffin and herbal tea